Pizza night is a downfall for many of my clients, but it doesn’t have to be! There are many low carb ways to cure your pizza craving, like with this Low Carb Meatball Pizza. The key is to cut out the grains, gluten and simple carbs by eliminating the traditional crust. In this recipe the crust is made from protein-rich eggs.
I personally believe that this recipe is perfect for any meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner! And the leftovers make a satisfying snack eaten cold right out of the fridge. Get creative and top your pizza with all of your favorite toppings, or stick with this recipe and get the added protein boost from the chicken meatballs.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What You Need
- Olive oil spray
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 12 chicken meatballs, sliced in half
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- Place a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grease with olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, sea salt and black pepper until fully combined and frothy. Pour the egg mixture into the preheated skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Do not disturb the eggs as the set. Occasionally lift the edges of the egg and tilt the pan to allow any runny eggs on top to pour under the firmer egg. The idea is to maintain a nice round shape like a pizza crust. Once the egg is set, remove from the heat.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the top of the egg, as you would on a pizza. Top with the goat cheese, tomato, meatballs and fresh basil. Place the skillet in the oven under high broil for 2-4 minutes, until the meatballs are warmed and the cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!
One serving equals: 187 calories, 13g fat, 3g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 17g protein.