Most comfort food dinners are packed with unhealthy fats, unnecessary calories and obscene levels of simple carbs…and flavor, lots of flavor.
With this comforting Creole Chicken and Green Bean Dinner I’ve left the abundance of flavor, while removing the unhealthy fats, unnecessary calories and those pesky simple carbs. Win-win!
Enjoy this hearty, protein-rich comfort food dinner with a salad of dark leafy greens for the perfect fitness meal.
What You Need
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- ½ lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, bell pepper and onion. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the chicken to the skillet and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add the bacon and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, water, bell pepper mixture, oregano, cumin, thyme and hot sauce. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the green beans, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 247 calories, 8g fat, 10g carbohydrate, 4g sugar, 327mg sodium, 4g fiber, and 29g protein