In order to ensure that you are shopping for the most healthy items at the supermarket I like to tell my clients to shop around the perimeter of the store – that’s where the fresh produce, eggs and lean meats are found.
Tuna is one of those rare healthy items that’s found in the inner aisles of the grocery store—so venture down the aisle and pick out white albacore packed in water. Just steer clear of the junk food aisle!
This is an ultra-healthy meal that is high in protein and low in fat.
What You Need
- 1 can albacore chunk tuna, packed in water
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ apple, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons nonfat mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon nonfat ranch salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 4 large lettuce leaves, washed
- Pepper to taste
- Combine the tuna, onion, bell pepper, and apple in a medium bowl. In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, ranch dressing and dill.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the tuna and mix until well combined.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on two plates, and fill with tuna. Garnish with a dash of pepper.
One serving equals: 124 calories, 1.5g fat, 13g carbohydrate, 2.7g fiber, and 14g protein.